Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Forgive and/or forget or remember?

So I have a Facebook friend who asked the question is it possible to really forget when you choose to forgive. There were several post on the subject which were very good. Like every Christian who is has made the decision to "do life with God everyday" I was also confronted with this. My boys who are now 20 and 22 yrs old, where about 5 and 7 yrs old. They were in school and I was making their beds after everyone left for the day. I was about a  2 yr old in the Lord when He spoke to me very clearly. He told me that today was today that He wanted me to forgive my father. You see, my father committed suicide when I was 17 yrs old and left his wife of 36 yrs, my mother, behind to pick up the pieces. 

This was the conversation the Lord and I had that morning:
Lord: You need to forgive your father today.
Me: I don't want to forgive him Lord
Lord: You will not be able to continue to walk with me if you don't
Me: I don't feel like doing Lord
Lord: It doesn't matter..I will give the feelings to go along with the declaration later.
Me: Its not fair
Lord: You will not be able to continue to walk with me if you don't.

I realized that the Lord was offering me healing. I realized that I did not know how to live my life without my anger on a low steady boil. Whenever I needed it (anger) I could tap into that anger and get things done..such as intimidation, manipulation, bullying etc. How would I be motivated to get things my way or to make things happen? I didn't know know how to live my adult life without anger/rage.

So I agreed with God that morning and decided that as an act of my will..I would forgive my father. Then the Lord told me to say it out loud. I said it out loud. Then the Lord told me to scream it and I asked why do I have to do that. He told me that I would be putting the enemy on notice...

To the enemy: HEAR ME AND HEAR ME GOOD..I FORGIVE MY FATHER. SATAN WILL NOT ABUSE ME WITH THIS ANY MORE. SATAN WILL NOT USE ME TO ABUSE OTHERS ANYMORE.
I did not hear anything else from the Lord that day but I knew I was in the middle of His will and he was pleased with me and I was in the shadow of his wings and I knew it!

A Year Later:
There was a family reunion on my dad's side. As I walked up there was a picture of my dad and his siblings in a frame on the table where you checked in. When I saw my dad's picture...I remembered what I had forgotten..how much I loved him and how much he loved me.  Before I forgave him I did not remember anything good only bad and after I forgave him I could remember the good and not so much the bad.

So perhaps we've put God in a box..the box of our own understanding. Perhaps he wants us to remember what has been forgotten before the forgiveness and forget the stuff that held us in bondage before the forgiveness. Just my thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment